eDiets is an online website portal designed to help people find the diet plan that will work best given individual preferences and weight loss goals. With approximately twenty different diet plans, eDiets is a quarterly paid, subscription-based service.
How does eDiets work?
A membership subscription entitles dieters to a number of services including customized diet and meal plans, shopping lists, recipes, email assistance, and access to online tools and calculators for weight management.
eDiets plans fall into two primary categories: meal delivery plans or online diet plans. For meal delivery plans, dieters choose a 5-day or 7-day plan that includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack. Online programs are personalized according to an individual’s weight goals and food and cooking preferences. Both online and meal delivery subscribers have access to a variety of support services, including access to registered dietitians, nutritionists, a fitness expert, interactive online information, online communities, articles, message boards and online meetings.
Upon completing a profile that includes aphysical profile, weight loss goals, eating habits and preferences, and current activity level, dieters receive personalized diet and exercise recommendations. Other site amenities include recipes, educational tutorials, community discussions, webinars, and access to dietary experts.
eDiets.com boasts a number of tools that have earned the site high rankings among diet and nutrition reviewers. Email and toll-free telephone access to dietitians and nutritionists provide motivation, plan support, and answersto dieters’ questions. Tracking tools help dieters track weight, plan meals, and exercise as well as monitor important vital signs like blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol and protein. Helpful mobile apps ensure members can access their personal and plan information wherever they go.
The weekly cost for eDiets is $4.49 (about $18 per month). Credit cards are billed on a 28-day auto renewal cycle and an early termination fee of $25 will be charged if you cancel your membership in the first three months.
Fresh prepared meal delivery service is also available. Prices vary depending on the plan selected, but average about $24 per day. Shipping and handling charges are additional andstart at around $20.
*Pricing reflects available cost details as of January 2012.
Pros and Cons
- A personalized diet recommendation is free and quick and takes important food and lifestyle preferences into account
- Meal delivery menus are highly customizable with more than 100 different food choices
- eDiet home delivery meals are freshly prepared and delivered fresh, not frozen
- With separate pricing for diet plans, fitness plans, and recipe access, membership costs can quickly add up
- You must register with a credit card and provide personal information in order to access pricing information and menus
- The eDiets website is supported by third party advertisers which can be distracting and may pose conflicts of interest when it comes to diet plan recommendations
With a wide variety of programs to choose from, eDiets offers a great deal of flexibility and diet plan customization. Access to dietary experts and a robust online community provide great support and motivation.