Duke Diet & Fitness Online is a weight-loss plan based on a combination of a personalized diet, fitness routine, behavioral strategies, and medical expertise. Duke online members receive daily meal plans, support and encouragement, customized, at-home exercise routines, and advice and information from the Duke University weight loss experts.
How does the Duke Diet Work?
Dieters begin with a free Duke Diet Evaluation that results in a customized evaluation complete with charts, graphs, and other information based on the answers you provide. Upon joining the Duke Diet & Fitness program, dieters receive a personalized diet and fitness plan based on the free evaluation. Recipes, exercise instructions, and calculators are available to help you stay on track to reach your goals.
The Duke Diet online community features answers to frequently asked questions from renowned Duke Experts. Articles and advice on nutrition, fitness, behavioral health, and medical concerns are also available to members.
The Duke Diet & Fitness program boasts 16 different online tools to help dieters record goals and accomplishments and overcome common weight loss challenges.
Membership for Duke Diet and Fitness Online costs $4 a week and is billed quarterly (every 13 weeks).
The Duke Diet and Fitness residential program in Durham, NC, is an intensive immersion program that includes a medical evaluation and physical exam; basic laboratory testing; nutrition, fitness, and behavioral health assessments; complete use of exercise facilities; classes and program materials; and meals (three meals and two snacks each day). Lodging is not included.
Costs for the residential program for new clients range from $2,400 for a 5 day program to $7,525 for a 4-week program.
*Pricing reflects available cost details as of January 2012.
Pros and Cons
- Duke Diet participants adhere to a sensible 1,200- to 1,800-calorie daily diet that doesn’t forbid treats—as long as they don’t exceed 10% of daily caloric intake.
- A holistic approach to weight loss ensures that overall health is taken into consideration.
- Program oversight is provided by medical doctors who specialize in the treatment of obesity and related medical problems, including diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Sample diet and exercise plans are not available for viewing on the website.
- The success stories on the Duke Diet & Fitness Online website feature the stories of those who benefited from the residential program, not the online program.
The Duke Diet’s approach to customized diet and exercise is a plus for dieters who appreciate personal attention. In addition, short- and long-term health benefits are hallmarks of the program which appears to have a successful track record among moderate to heavily obese individuals.